Fat Panic! are an alliance of people of all sizes who are committed to ending the oppression of fat people, and to working towards a society in which no one is taught to hate their own or anyone else’s body, for any reason. They are committed to:
- Educating themselves and others about the causes and consequences of fat oppression, always keeping in mind that fat oppression shapes and is shaped by all other systemic forms of inequity.
- Creating spaces and events in which fat people and allies can come together to socialize and engage in political activism – while we acknowledge that safety is an elusive and sometimes troublesome concept, it remains a goal worth striving for.
- Challenging myths around fatness, thinness and health. This involves, at least, working to:
- raise public awareness about the abundant and high quality – yet strangely under-reported – research showing that the relationship between fat and health is not at all as commonly advertised
- break down the mystique of anti-fat science by equipping people with essential science literacy skills
- encourage health care professionals to adopt an approach that is capable of supporting people of all sizes as we make our own choices relating to health, while avoiding the notion that there is a moral obligation to strive for any particular conception of ‘health.’
Fattitude May 31, 2018